Friday, July 30, 2010

I was just quoted $600 to fix an oil pan gasket leak. Is this reasonable?

What is it on? Do you have to take motor mount bolts loose? If not you're getting screwed. What make of vehicle? What size of engine? Need more info to give appropriate answerI was just quoted $600 to fix an oil pan gasket leak. Is this reasonable?
It depends upon the model. However, it does seem a little high.


Permit me to probe a bit.


Many older cars leak oil...many not so older cars leak oil too. I have oil spots on my garage and driveway (I've got kids with older, but reliable cars). The spots look huge! However, in all cases (there are 4 cars), the leak does not amount to even one quart loss between an oil change every 4-5000 miles. They are messy though.


Oil comes from all over the place...valve covers, oil pan...The reason why I'm adding this is that you can spend a great deal on money chasing oil leaks and still have an oil leak when it's all done.


Now if you bottomed out on something and ripped a gash in the oil pan...that's different. If you're just an extremely neat person and can't stand to see the spots...well it's cost/benefit thing.


FYI: 2 of the vehicles I've got are late GM. GM's, I'm told, are very leak prone. They just are. Excellent drive train...but leaky. I get post cards from Chavez thanking me for keeping them on the road.


All this blabbing is to try to convey the thought...don't fix it unless you feel as though you have to. AND keep your check book handy...they'll be more.


Hope it works out for you. Good Luck.I was just quoted $600 to fix an oil pan gasket leak. Is this reasonable?
omg... what kind of car do you have? i know to get a brand new oil pan for my civic is 100.00.... 600.00 sound a little out of whack?! i would call around your area, what exactly is it? like an o ring or an actually gasket? i cant see a gasket costing that much either!!! i would buy the gasket and sealer and do it your self, they arent too hard to put on, i did my spark plug and head gasket by myself. :) i think i paid about 15.00-25.00 for everything directly from honda!
Shop around to get more quote on oil pan gasket. Most mechanic alway rip people off. Also call auto part to find out how much the oil pan gasket. Its depend whats kind of car do you have.
hell no .......that's way too much .... gasket will cost you $20.00 to 30.00.. take it to another mechanic... it should cost you at least 150.00 the most .. good luck !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment