Friday, July 30, 2010

Can I replace the oil pan gasket on my car myself?

I have a 93 mercury sableCan I replace the oil pan gasket on my car myself?
Some cars are easier to do than others. Some have very good accessability whereas others the engine must be unhooked and lifted somewhat. It is also difficult to place and hold the rubber pieces on the ends of a typical pan. What I am saying is that its a big pain in the ***. Check in your area for a vocational high school or secondary tech school that teaches automotive technology you may be able to get it done free labor, but, you'll probably have to be without the car for a whileCan I replace the oil pan gasket on my car myself?
yup...get messy n clean up
If you have to ask this question, then I would advise against it!
If you have the time, equipment and space, you can do it.
Sure. It's pretty easy. Go to your local auto parts store.


Get a Cjilton's manuel on how to repair your car, or any other manuel they sell for the make and model of your car.


They have easy to follow step by step instructions.


The auto parts stor is the place to get all the tools you'll need,


as well as the gasket.


It took me 2 hours to replace mine and I'm a woman.
If you have access to an oxy/acetylene torch, yes. The hardest part of the job will be to drop the exhaust to enable access to the pan for removal. I would advise you to purchase the pan gasket from the Ford dealer parts department, IF IT'S THE 3.0L V6. It is an updated reuasble type gasket that is MUCH easier to install than the original rubber style one that tends to stretch and push through, which I guess is the reason you need to do this job. It's NOT expensive from the dealer, believe me. But good luck removing the rusted fasteners on the exhaust. Hope this helps. The part number for the gasket from the Ford dealer is 2U1Z-6710-AA for $46.00 Canadian, IF IT'S THE 3.0L V6.
Yes you can but it's a messy job. Jack up the car high enough so you have plenty of room. Follow the specs for tightening sequence and have a good torque wrench. Use lots of Permatex.
Yes you can but you have to be able to lift the car up and have the proper equipment. There are parts underneath the oil pan that will need to be taken off in order to get them out of the way.
yeah it's easy. just remove the oil pan, remove the old gasket material and clean the mating surfaces thoroughly. then stick the new gasket on there with a tube of that blue gasket **** and put the pan back on. you need a torque wrench and a repair manual with the right order for tightening the bolts so you tighten it to the proper specs.

No comments:

Post a Comment