Wednesday, July 28, 2010

99 New Jetta oil pan crack - weld it or get a new one?

There's a 1.5 - 2 inch hairline crack in my oil pan. Its already been welded once and had a gas tank repair patch put on it. The patch held for about a year. It oozes a bit when its sitting in the garage. I'm not sure how much it leaks when I'm driving.





So, should I take it to a weld shop (about $70/hour plus the pain and hassle of getting the damn thing off)





Or, should I spend the $500 to get a new oil pan and have it installed?99 New Jetta oil pan crack - weld it or get a new one?
My vote is to replace the pan,,,you can probably get a used pan from an auto wrecker,,and have someone install it for you.


Cheaper solution.99 New Jetta oil pan crack - weld it or get a new one?
I'll weld it for you, I have a MIG at my house.... A good welder would have done the job well enough it wouldn't leak at all..... maybe they just put some JB weld on it......
I'd look around junkyards for a used pan or one on like ebay. I have tried the welding, gluing, gas tank repair, etc etc repairs on a fly wheel casing on a old Pontiac. Never held and just caused more issues and headaches. Already welded once and its not holding.....either bad weld or something is twisted.





Either the original pan is bad, warped, the oil pan bolt up point is warped or not level, bolts could of been or still could be getting over torqued in turn causing stress on the metal and in turn causing it to tear. Bad, cheap or aftermarket oil pan gasket as it may not be thick enough.





If it was my car....I'd find a new or used pan that is good and install it by factory torque specs with a factory gasket. I would also have the plane of the the bolts also checked for level and to make sure no damage there that might cause the same damage to this new pan.
for that year,i would get 1 from the junk yard and put a new gasket on it.
500.00 thats a rip off. get one at a junk yard prolly a 2.0 liter right?should be able to get 1 for around 50 to 100.00 max then sell it and by a honda or camry lol
Get a new pan. Check ebay for a used pan, and get it installed somewhere. Check your oil regularly fill it to the full mark, and see how much oil you leak in a week. It may be cheaper if it only drips a little to leave it as it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment