Friday, July 30, 2010

Does an all-rubber oil pan gasket install dry?

I purchased a Felpro oil pan gasket for my Jeep's 4.0 (1990 XJ) and was wondering if it installs completely dry or needs some RTV.





Also, I'm having a heck of a time lining the sucker up to get the bolts in...any advice?





Thanks!Does an all-rubber oil pan gasket install dry?
Some manufacturers advise a small dab of sealer on each corner of the gasket. I don't know what Jeep says. Better check out the repair manual. You can see a number of them at the library if you don't want to buy one.Does an all-rubber oil pan gasket install dry?
one trick is to use dabs of grease here and there to help hold the gasket in place when installing. thats how they tell u to install trans pan gaskets. u shouldn't neen any sealant on the rubber gasket itself, just the corners where the gaskets join





I just checked my Jeep manual and it says position the gasket on the pan with gasket spray and use generous amounts of RTV sealant on the corners where the gaskets join. i'm assuming its a 4pc gasket for the I6 engine. the grease trick would work if you don't have gasket spray.
Put a little rtv on it to make is stick and a little easier to line up.
Dry. Stick a couple of bolts thru holes to hold in place.
yeah

No comments:

Post a Comment