Saturday, August 21, 2010

How do I clean cooked-on oils from the outside of my pans?

I have Calphalon cast-iron pans, T-Fal Teflon coated pans (enamel outter), and a couple of stainless steel pans...all have at some point or another gotten some cooked on yuckies that I cant scrub off with my regular scratch pad. HELP! I love sources...How do I clean cooked-on oils from the outside of my pans?
I would use oven cleaner (which you would need to use outside... fumes are bad), or a product called ';bar keeper's friend'; which is non-abrasive... but if you use it on the inside of the cast-iron, it will need to be re-seasoned.How do I clean cooked-on oils from the outside of my pans?
I wet the bottom of the pan (I use this in the oven as well), sprinkle liberally with baking soda, drizzle with very hot white vinegar and scrub with a 3m Dobie scrubber. It gets everything off really easily. The baking soda and vinegar react to each other and cut through that grease. This method will not harm any of your pans but you will need to make sure you rinse them really well and re-season the cast iron one.
I've used oven cleaner with good results
oven cleaner or greased lighting works great too
Dawn makes a new product for just this purpose. It works wonderfully. It also cleans the burners on the stove. Good luck
use an orange degreaser you can get them at wal-mart or any store like that it also works good on floors and wall to get grease of them as well.. hope that helps some
Similar answer to the one about cast iron pots and pans. I've used oven cleaner on my Calphalon in a well vented area. Easier to do in warmer weather outdoors.


I've just used steel wool pads on stainless, and unless you really have to keep them mirror finish, scour marks add character to well used cookware. I'm impressed with cooks who have quality cookware, and aren't afraid to scrub it clean, rather than be afraid to scratch it.
I got a very simple and cheap one, Degreaser, thats best cleaner, works for everything!
Out in your backyard, lay down some newspapers, put the on the paper and spray the heck out of them with Easy Off Oven cleaner (or some other brand) and let them sit for about an hour and wash in hot water.
Just get some of those metal scrubbies from the grocery store. The copper one is softer and the steel(?) one is harder but can scratch some surfaces.
tea tree oil is amazingly good at removing gunky, resiny, greasy stains, rub some in with one of those scrubby green pads.
Oven cleaner works best...but you may have to heat up the pan before you spray it. Just make sure once you have heated the pan....take it outside in backyard BEFORE you spray it with oven cleaner. That way you won't have all those smelly fumes in your house.

No comments:

Post a Comment